Sunday, September 29, 2013

Serve


Today was the day I've been waiting upon for a long time.
See, today ...
I finally defined it - serving.
& I'm talking about the kind of service meaning to be a servant of Christ.
I've heard it many times in many ways, but never quite like I pictured God would describe it.
Today, however, was the day I finally heard God's definition, and it is so, so very beautiful :


1 Corinthians 9:19-22
" Even though I am free of the demands and expectations of everyone, I have voluntarily become a servant to any and all in order to reach a wide range of people:  religious, nonreligious, meticulous moralists, loose-living immoralists, the defeated, the demoralized - whoever I didn't take on their way of life.  I kept my bearings in Christ - but I entered their world and tried to experience things from their point of view.  I've become just about every sort of servant there is in my attempts to lead those I meet into a God-saved life. "
Wait just a minute & 
read this again :

" I kept my bearings in Christ - but I entered their world and tried to experience things from their point of view.  I've become just about every sort of servant there is in my attempts to lead those I meet into a God-saved life. "


And this is where I say that God's definition of service -- it's so, so very beautiful.
For the past year, I've heard the question over and over and over.
I've felt God asking me, "Allie, what is service?"
Until today, I hadn't been able to understand it like He wanted me to.
Oh, but now that I do -- I'm grateful beyond measures.



And the crazy thing is this || How many times have I read through 1 Corinthians in the bible? A lot.
And God just decided to deliver it to me at the perfect time, right when I needed to hear it most, not too soon, not too late.
You know, I just have to stop and wonder -
I don't have to worry about anything because my God will carry me along.



As the song "Oceans" by Hillsong United says,
"Spirit, lead me where my trust is without borders.  Let me walk upon the waters wherever you would call me.  Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander, and my faith will be made stronger in the presence of my Savior."



{ So, Allie, what is service? }
Service is extending Christ, extending a hand, extending the ability to just be near and be Christ-like.
Service is doing all through Him so that any person of any encounter could know the Lord by who we are, how we act.
Service is a commitment to see it through, to see the work of salvation in action.
Service is to be a vehicle for those who have given up on God.
Service is an overwhelming of grace.



By this definition--my new definition, I've learned that I am called to serve;
not only because it's the message God has sent but because it is what we, as Christians, as servants of Christ, are designed - even before our time - to do.
We are designed to serve.

Linking with...
Miscellany Monday @ lowercase letters
Our Beautiful World

8 comments:

  1. These are wonderful shots ... I love the close up of the lilly ... So glad you shared with us at Our Beautiful World!

    ReplyDelete
  2. absolutely beautiful post.... what wonderful photos to match....
    your photos are so clear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful definition and beautiful pictures! I feel refreshed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous photographs-such detail in them ;)
    Best wishes,Nessa xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos with us, loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy looking at your photos so much, especially listening to this beautiful song!. I feel joy upon seeing the cat by the gate :). Gorgeous photos!. Thank you for sharing them with us at Our Beautiful World.

    ReplyDelete